How to Convert MOV Files on Your Devices
Jane Zhou updated on Aug 17, 2021 to Video Converter Tips
If your videos come from a decade or so back, you will find that they are in the MOV video format. This format used to be popular and is still used on Apple's iOS and Mac devices. However, popularity-wise, it has still not gained as much limelight as other formats like the MP4. If you are looking to upload your MOV videos somewhere and that service does not support this format, you are going to have to convert your videos first. There are many MOV converters out there and the following are some of the best ones you can use to get the task done.
Top 1. EaseUS Video Editor
Windows computers have come a long way and if you have been a PC user all this time, you know how easy it is to get apps for basically everything you want to do on your computer. There are several media converters to help you convert MOV files on your Windows-based computer.
However, nothing can beat the simplicity and the number of features that EaseUS Video Editor has to offer. It is a video editing app but it allows you to convert your MOV and other media files as well. It has a built-in conversion tool that helps users convert files from one format to another. With this tool, you can convert all of the MOV files lying around on your Windows PC to your chosen format, such as MP4. The following are some of the features that this app offers.
- Convert multiple MOV files
- Merge and split MOV files before converting them
- Preview your files before the conversion
- Multiple output formats for your files
- Convert MOV to MP3
- Convert MOV to audio-only formats
- Edit your MOV files before converting them
How to Convert MOV Files using EaseUS Video Editor on Windows:
You now know a lot of things about this software and you may want to learn how you can use it as a MOV converter. The following steps will show you how to convert your MOV files to various file formats, such as MP4, with this software.
Step 1. Import the source file
Launch EaseUS Video Editor. On the home screen, you can import the source file by either clicking the "Import" option or simply dragging the video to the appropriate area.
Step 2. Add to project
You need to add the imported file to the track by choosing the "Add to Project" option, or you can drag and place the file to the track as you want.
Step 3. Export the source file
Now you can click "Export" on the main menu on the top.
Step 4. Save as MP4
Under the "Video" tab, choose MP4 as the desired video file format.
On the right pane, you can edit the file name, customize an output folder and settings, and then click "Export".
Top 2. Freemake Video Converter
If you are looking for something that is purely a media file conversion tool, Freemake Video Converter is a good choice. This software allows you to convert any of your media files without much hassle on your computers. It runs on multiple versions of Windows and allows you to convert your files to hundreds of file formats.
The support for numerous file formats is what makes this app stand out of the crowd. Whether you are looking to convert your MOV to the MP4 or any other video format, you can do that with this app on your computer.
- Supports over 500+ formats
- Various codecs are built into the app
- Download files from online sites
- Convert MOV to many popular formats
- Readymade settings for various devices
- One app to convert hundreds of files
- Presets so you do not need to alter the settings
- Clean user interface
- The conversions sometimes fail
- Converting files takes too long
- No regular updates
Top 3. iMovie
iMovie is an excellent tool to edit videos and convert media files on your Mac and iOS devices. The great thing about this app is it is completely free and comes with really powerful features. You can use this app to convert both your audio and video files to many output formats.
Since it has been developed by Apple itself, it is tightly integrated to your Mac and so it provides a more optimized experience for you to convert your MOV files to various file formats. You can simply drag and drop your files and the app can convert them for you.
- Load MOV files from various sources
- Play your file before performing the conversion
- Add various elements to your MOV files
- Convert your MOV files to a popular format
- Support for extracting audio from MOV files
- Completely free and secure app
- Fast conversion speeds
- Easy to use interface
- No support for multiple output formats
- It sometimes crashes while converting files
- Not a fully-featured file converter
Download Link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/imovie/id408981434?mt=12
Top 4. HandBrake
If your work requires you to convert several MOV or other files on your Mac, HandBrake could be the perfect tool for your conversion tasks. That is because it has support for many file formats and helps you quickly and easily convert your files to your chosen formats.
It is a cross-platform app meaning if you ever switch to another type of computer, the app is available for that platform as well and you can pick up from where you left on that new machine. It has several built-in presets so you can quickly generate files that are compatible with your devices.
- Supports almost all audio and video formats
- Convert your MOV files to major video formats
- Use presets to convert MOV files
- Support for subtitles
- Preview your videos
- All-in-one media file converter app
- Quick conversions
- Hassle-free tool and requires minimal user interaction
- It could be overwhelming for new users
- Sometimes it shows conversion errors
- Does not work very well with long MOV files
Top 5. MOV To MP4 Converter
If you have received a MOV file on your Android device, you will want to convert it to another popular format so that anyone who you share the file with can play the file. These days, you can use one of the apps from the Google Play Store to convert files on your Android devices.
MOV To MP4 Converter is one such app and it allows you to convert your MOV media files to the widely recognized MP4 format. This way you can make all your MOV videos and movies compatible with almost all the devices out there.
- Batch convert your MOV files
- Convert your files in the background
- Edit various settings for your files
- Presets for your conversions
- Multiple audio channels
- Easily locate your MOV files
- One tap to convert MOV files
- Quickly view the converted files list
- Only supports the MP4 format
- No progress bar telling you the conversion progress
- Quality issues with the conversions
Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=grant.mov.to.mp4
Top 6. Video Converter
Video Converter is not only a media file converter but a tool that allows you to edit and compress your audio and video files. With this app on your Android smartphone or tablet, you can easily convert your MOV and other videos to various file formats in a few easy steps.
Those of you who are looking to get multiple functions from a single app is going to like this app. It is a multi-purpose app allowing you to convert your files as well as perform a plethora of other actions on your media files.
- Convert MOV to multiple formats
- Compress your MOV videos
- Edit your media files
- Built-in audio and video player
- Cut and trim your videos
- Multiple functionalities in one app
- Support for a wide range of file formats
- Easy to use interface
- Produces really large converted files
- You cannot adjust the volume before converting the files
- Sometimes the conversion stops suddenly
Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inverseai.video_converter
Top 7. MovP4
Since Apple prioritizes the MOV format over other formats on Apple products, there should not be any reason for you to convert your MOV files. However, there are occasions like when you want to share your MOV files with the people on different phones, then you may need to convert your files first.
There is an app called MovP4 for the iPhone that allows you to convert all your MOV files to the popular MP4 format. The app is dedicated only to this type of conversion and so it works like a charm to help you convert your MOV files on your iPhone.
- Choose any MOV videos from the Camera Roll
- Quickly convert MOV to MP4 with a single tap
- Support for the M4V format
- Preserves the audio and video quality
- Fast conversion speed
- Extremely easy to use
- Works great even for large files
- Preview files
- Sometimes there are issues with the audio conversion
- The encoding process is not flawless
- Makes audio out of sync for the converted files
Download Link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/movp4/id1066740966
Top 8. Media Converter
Media Converter is an all-in-one solution to all of your file conversion needs on your iOS-based device. This app allows you to convert both your audio and video files to many popular file formats right on your iPhone and iPad devices. You can easily select the videos that you want to be converted and it then offers you the formats that you can choose from. You can use the app to extract audio from your videos as well. It has support for several video formats including MOV and so converting your MOV files is not a big deal with this app on your iPhone.
- Convert MOV to several file formats
- Compress your MOV files
- Convert audio files
- Play MOV and other file formats
- Access zipped files
- Total media conversion solution
- Access almost all file formats with this app
- Import items from various sources
- Takes too long to convert files
- Does not directly save files to apps like Music
- Too many ads
Download Link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/media-converter-video-to-mp3/id1294207675
Top 9. CloudConvert
While there are many reasons to use a desktop app to convert your MOV files, you may not want to install an app if there is only a single or few files to be converted. In that case, you may prefer something that can be used without any installation. This is where some of the online media file converters come into the picture.
Enter CloudConvert, an online tool that allows you to convert MOV and other files to various formats right from your web browsers. All you need to do is upload your files and the tool will get them converted for you.
- Upload files from multiple sources
- Quickly select the output format
- Support for over 200 file formats
- Preserve your file quality
- Keeps your uploaded files secure
- Easy MOV conversion from your browser
- Search for output file formats
- Trusted site for uploading files
- The free version offers limited features
- It takes a while to upload and download your files
- Too many confusing options on the main screen
Top 10. Zamzar
Zamzar has helped thousands of users convert their files from one format to another and you can use it to convert your MOV files as well. It has support for dozens of file formats including MOV and the popular MP4 format. It uses a single screen approach to help you convert your files.
Once you are on the site, all you need to do is click on a button to add your files. You can then select an output format and it will start converting your files. The converted file can then be downloaded to your computer in a single click.
- Drag and drop support
- Add files from computer and the web
- A plethora of output formats
- Get email alerts for your conversions
- Three-step quick procedure
- No need to reload the page for your conversions
- Clear instructions on how to convert MOV files
- No long downtimes
- The maximum file size is capped at 200MB for free users
- There is a limit on concurrent conversions
- No high-speed downloads
If you have MOV files stored on your devices, it is a really good idea to convert them to a popular format like MP4. This will allow you to use your file on pretty much any mobile phone or computer out there. EaseUS Video Editor makes the MOV file conversion job easier for you on Windows machines. You can download it by clicking the blue button below.