2021 | Top 6 Open Source Video Converter for Win & Mac
Jane Zhou updated on Oct 14, 2021 to Video Converter Tips
With some niche video files formatted in ASF, DV, 3G2, or others, you will find it is difficult to play those videos on common video players or devices. To solve this problem, you can use a free video converter to change the video format into one compatible with your device or player.
Fortunately, there are lots of videos converting software available on the market. To save your time and money, here we are gonna share with you some best free open source video converters. Just read to find your favorite one!
Top 1. HandBrake
HandBrake is one of the most popular open source video converting software worldwide, and it can run perfectly on Windows, macOS, and even Linux computers smoothly. Using this free video converter, you are able to convert video from nearly any format into MP4 or MKV.
More than that, it also allows you to adjust the video codec, video frame rate, video quality, audio bitrate, parameters of input, etc. If needed, you are opened up to profiles/presets to choose from and avoid the need to adjust options one is not sure of.
After converting, you can edit the video as you want with the freeware. Considered a basic video editor, Handbrake provides some editing tools as well. Here you can use it to apply video filters, add or remove subtitles, crop videos, resize video clips, and many more. To some degree, it is worthwhile software to try.
- Completely free and multi-compatible
- Batch scan and queueing of encodes
- Support for VFR and CFR
- Offer basic and advanced editing tools
Top 2. VLC Media Player
Another open source video converter we are going to share with you is VLC Media Player. Most of you know that it is a great media player because it supports various video and audio formats. However, more than that, it is an easy-to-use audio and video converter that lets you change your media formats quickly.
This freeware supports MOV, MP4, FLV, AVI, AAC, FLAC, and many more, which means that all the supported formats can be converted through this program. In addition, VLC offers you options to adjust the parameters of the input video and audio files before starting the conversion as well. All in all, if you want to find a program that combines media file playing and converting functions, you can rely on VLC.
- Compatible with Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android
- Support video and audio conversion process
- Allow ripping files from DVDs to save into local folder
After converting, you may want to edit your video clips with some video editing software. Here we recommend EaseUS Video Editor, which is best for both beginners and pros because of its intuitive interface and advanced editing tools.
EaseUS Video Editor
Easy & smart video editing software for beginners
- Build-in 100+ visual effects like transitions, filters, overlays, etc.
- Trim, crop, split, rotate, import, mix video and audio, etc.
- Adjust style, add watermark, zoom, mosaic, speed, or slow video/audio.
- Support green screen cutout, PIP, voiceover, speech & text convert
Trusted by TechRadar, Fstopper, etc.
Top 3. VCT – Video Converter & Transcoder
VCT is an open-source video/audio converter based on FFmpeg. This video converting software supports batch converting audio and video collection to H.264 or H.265 HEVC, AAC, MP3, and many more. Also, it can transcode MKV to MP4 and M4V or vice versa in 1minute.
Apart from the converting features, VCT lets you rotate video, resize video, or even extract audio from video clips. Moreover, if you want to save AV streams from the Internet, you also can get the work done with this program.
- Enable to select an audio stream to encode with video
- Create conversion tasks easily
- Remove subtitles or add subtitles as a stream
Top 4. MediaCoder
MediaCoder is an excellent video transcoding software developed since 2005. When speaking of converting changing media formats, it is just a piece of cake for MediaCoder. This software enables you to convert between the most popular audio and video formats, and all the converted files will keep the original quality.
Moreover, it will help you rip BD/DVD/VCD/CD and even capture video from cameras. If you like, you can enhance video and audio content by applying various filters after the conversion.
- Convert media content for playback on multimedia devices
- Extract audio tracks from video files and discs
- Fix corrupted or partial downloaded video files
- Help reduce video and audio files size
Top 5. Miro Video Converter
With a beautiful user interface, Miro Video Converter becomes more and more popular in open-source video converter market.
To convert video formats, you can simply drag and drop the video file, select the output format, then it will begin the conversion. That’s it! It is also worth mentioning that this software supports batch conversion, which will allow you to import multiple video files and convert them at one time.
But it only can export three video formats (MP4, WebM, and OGG). If that’s enough for you, you also can select this software for converting media files.
- 100% free and open-source
- Built-in a friendly user interface
- Convert video to the correct size and formats for popular devices or media players
Top 6. FFmpeg
Available for all Windows, macOS, and Linux users, FFmpeg is a free video converter and media streaming software. It is aimed to decode, encode, transcode, mux, demux, stream, and filter almost any video and audio file.
No matter how obscure ancient, or modern a media format is, this open-source video converter is ready to give you the best experience. To convert media formats, it usually works with the command line. This makes it possible to integrate it with other converter software thanks to the coding being open source and ready for contribution.
- Support filtering and streaming videos
- Support almost all media conversions
- Offer a rich list of supported encoders and transcoders
The Bottom Line
Here, we have talked about the top 6 free open source video converters for Windows and Mac, and you can choose the suitable one based on your needs.
Bonus Tips: Best Video Converter on PC
Apart from the recommended open source video converters in the above part, you can also use this fantastic Windows converting software, EaseUS Video Converter. It's easy to convert common formats like MP4, MOV, MKV, M4V, etc.
At the same time, it's accessible to play the selected video before or after conversion. After converting, the quality is maintained the same. Also, you can see more functions in the below part.
- Enable to merge media files without losing quality
- Allow the batch converting function to save time
- Support 1000+ formats for conversions
- GPU acceleration to enhance converting process
- Capable of playing and viewing the converted file
To explore more useful functions, try it yourself!