Top 8 Free MKV Converter: Convert MKV to MP4/MP3/MOV/AVI/AAC
Jane Zhou updated on Oct 13, 2021 to Video Converter Tips
MKV is dedicatedly created to develop high-quality videos. But often or not, our portable devices do not support an MKV file format. So, the only solution is to convert these files to MP4, AVI, or some other file format. Here in this post, we are going to guide you with some featureful free MKV converter that you can use to convert MKV video files into any file format. Have a look to get the full scoop!
Best MKV Converter for Windows and Mac
Top 1. EaseUS Video Converter (Windows 11/10/8/7)
Whether you want to convert MKV to other video or audio formats, or vice versa, you can always rely on EaseUS Video Converter.
Supporting more than 1000 file formats, this software aims to convert video and audio file formats in seconds. For instance, you can easily convert MKV to MP3, M3, FLAC, AVI, and others without losing any quality. In addition, it offers you options to custom the parameters according to your needs, such as changing the resolution, encoding, FPS, etc.
- Support converting any videos in HD, 2K, and 4K resolution
- Offer high conversion speed
- Support multiple output formats
- The inbuilt player enables you to preview the media files anytime
- Bulk conversion is available
Top 2. EaseUS Video Editor (Windows 10/8.1/8/7)
When it comes to choosing the best video converter to convert MKV video files to other formats, EaseUS Video Editor brings the best solution to you. Not only as an MKV converter but also if you are looking to convert any other video file format the application allows you to do so, which is what makes the EaseUS one of the most versatile video and audio editing software available in the market.
Above all, you can even convert HD videos to your wished format without any loss of quality. Also, you may convert GIF to MP4, convert MKV to MOV, etc. So there is a potential reason, which has compelled us to give EaseUS the first rank. Here are the simple steps to convert MKV to other video formats like WMV, MP4 using EaseUS.
- Support almost all common formats
- Plentiful editing tools
- Offer over 50+ special effects
- Chroma Key feature is available
Top 3. HandBrake (Mac)
HandBrake is a free MKV converter utterly popular among Mac users. With advanced filtering features, including frame rate adjustment and a handful of presets, the software gives you precise control over the process of video conversion. The best part about the application is that it works seamlessly both on Mac and Windows. Therefore, if you are someone who needs to work across both operating systems, HandBrake can be the best choice for you. Unlikely the other software applications we have mentioned here you might need to take a while to get used to with HandBrake.
- Free, open-source cross-platform software
- Allows batch scan and queueing of encodes
- Supports VFR and CFR
- Can offer you with live static and video preview
- Comes with lots presets video filters
- Offers advanced control options
- Superfast conversion
- Supports an extensive array of formats
- Complex user interface
- Not beginner's friendly
- Supports only a few formats
Top 4. DivX Converter (Mac)
Are you looking for an MKV converter with a less complicated user interface? Then, DivX Converter comes up with the best solution for you. Offering both a workable free and a paid version DivX has a simple UI, which even beginners can handle pretty easily. The free version itself ensures fast conversion along with quality output and supports up to 4K resolution. The only downside is that there are only a few format options like MOV, AVI, and MP4 are available with free tools. However, the paid version has all the additional format options along with better conversion speed and more number of custom settings.
- A functional free version is available
- Offers decent conversion speed
- Seamlessly works on cross-platform
- Ensures quality output
- Offers up to 4K resolution
- Easy to use interface
- The paid version is available at a reasonable price
- You can view videos in your web browser
- Too many ads and upsells come up with the free version
- Bundled with Adware
- The program sometimes freezes
Top 5. CloudConvert (Online)
CloudConvert offers the best solution for those who do not want to install any additional program on their system. CloudConvert, a web-based video editing platform, can offer you a fast and reliable way to convert your MKV video file to other formats. The application syncs well with Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari, and other leading browsers, so it doesn't matter which browser you are using you can always expect to get the best result.
- Web-based platform hence does not matter which operating system you are using
- Works smoothly on any leading web-browser
- Simple, fast and easy to use
- No need to proceed with the long installation process
- The converter supports more than 200 file formats
- Online converter, ensures ease of use
- Maintain the quality of the video
- Fast & reliable
- Allows conversion of other files than video
- Does not have many format options
- All the files you upload gets saved on CloudConvert database
- The API may slowdown
Top 6. ConvertFiles (Online)
If you are searching for an online free MKV converter, then ConvertFiles can be one of the platforms you need to check out. The best part about ConvertFiles is it's easy to navigate interface. Whenever you want to convert an MKV file all you need to do is open ConvertFiles, upload the MKV file and select the output format as per your preferred codec and convert your video.
- Free access
- Supports more than 200 files format
- Fast, secure, and reliable
- Privacy guaranteed
- Fewer advertisements and upsells, zero popup ads
- An online platform does not require additional installation
- Easy to use, suitable for beginners
- Can convert a low-end video to high-end or vice-versa
- Does not allow batch conversion
- Need a steady internet connection to use the platform
- Full of pop-ups and ads
Top 7. Zamzar (Online)
Zamzar is another web-based free MKV converter you can use to convert your MKV video files. With a user-friendly interface, the platform is easily accessible through your browser no matter which operating system you are using. All you need to do is create a profile on Zamzar, upload your videos, and start converting for free.
- Easy to use interface
- Web-based does not need additional installation
- Supports more than 1200 types of file format
- Superfast, takes maximum 10 minutes to convert a file
- Zero advertisement
- Simple platform, a decent option for beginners
- Accessible from Windows, Mac, and Linux through web-browser
- Can email the file or download directly
- Need to upload the file on Zamzar database
- Slow upload and conversion speed
- Requires steady internet to use the platform
Top 8. Online-Convert (Online)
This MKV converter lets you easily convert MKV files to other desired video formats. It is very easy-to-use. All you need to do is to upload your MKV file or provide a link to the MKV file and click the "Start conversion" button to convert it to MP4, AVI, MOV, etc. This high-quality MKV conversion tool is free to use.
- One-stop file converting software lets you convert your files to any other file formats
- Over 100 file formats supported
- Change the screen size, video bitrate, audio, and video codec in the optional settings
- Rotate, cut mirror or crop your video
- Convert document, video, image, audio, and more
- Offers decent conversion speed
- Supports document conversion
- No need to download anything
- Breakdown when there is no internet connection
- Users need to stand in a line before conversion
The Bottom Line
We have already shared the list of the best eight video converters. Most of this software will work smoothly on your computer, but if you want to have the best superfast conversion, we will recommend you to use EaseUS Video Converter. Performance-wise, the EaseUS Video Converter is the best MKV video converter among the ones we tested.