2021 | Best Free Audio Converter Software (11 Picks)
Vanessa Chiang updated on Oct 14, 2021 to Video Converter Tips
When an audio file you recorded or downloaded is not open or playable on a certain device, it's not absolutely corrupted as you doubt. Sometimes, it's the file format incompatibility that leads to the issue of a file not opening or playing. You can easily work out the problem by converting audio formats with the help of the best free audio converter!
An audio file converter is one kind of file converter used to convert one type of audio file (like MP3, WAV, and BWF) into another type of audio file. In any case, you wish to modify an audio file format, feel free to download any one of the 10 best audio converter software we introduced here to change audio file formats on PC, Mac, and even mobile devices.
If you are looking for the best audio converter, take a look at EaseUS Video Converter. With an easy and straightforward user interface, it is easy to operate by any level of users, especially the novices.
This software supports more than 300 audio formats like MP3, AAC, FLAC, and many more, and you can easily change your music files to your favorite format with a few clicks so that you can play the music on your desired players or devices. Besides, this program provides many other advanced features, like bulk conversion, changing parameters of the output file, and many more.
Except for that, it is also an excellent video converter for PC. With its aid, you can change your video format, resolution, encoding, FPS, and more to make it more attractive.
- Support 1000+ audio and video formats
- There will be no quality loss after conversion
- Combine video or audio clips into a single one
- Extract audio from video in one click
- Support converting files in bulk at the same time
Supported OS: Windows 11/10/8/8.1/7
Supported Input Formats: MP3, M4A, WAV, M4R, AIFF, APE, MP4, MOV, MKV, M4V, AVI, HEVC, MP4, HEVC, and many more
Supported Ouput Formats: MP4, MP3, MKV, WMV, DivX, MXF, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DV, VOB, DV, 3GP, 3G2, OGV, WebM, and more
#2. EaseUS Video Editor - Best Audio Converter
EaseUS Video Editor is a free audio converter that you can rely on. It's used to convert across different audio formats, split lossless audio files and extract audio from video files. But, more than just an audio converter program, it's versatile enough to handle sound, music, videos, images, pictures, and texts, mixing all elements into an entire masterpiece and exporting it to the universally applied file formats of videos (MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV, MOV, GIF) and audios (MP3, AAC).
- 1. Super easy to use with a simple and wizard-like interface
- 2. Support the drag & drop way to import media files like a breeze
- 3. Able to extract audio from video and export the audio to MP3 & AAC
- 4. Able to turn a video file to audio, e.g., convert MP4 to MP3
- 5. Brilliant video editing features: add filters, overlays, transitions, and texts; cut/trim/rotate a video
- Supported OS: Windows 7/8/10
- Supported Input Formats: WAV, MP3, M4A, FLAC, AAC, WMA, AU, AIFF, OGG, and a lot more
- Supported Output Formats: MP3 and AAC
#3. Any Audio Converter
Powerful as the product name implies, Any Audio Converter covers the most important features of audio and video conversion with a logical user guide. It does well in converting Apple music, Audiobook, iTunes songs, Spotify, and Amazon music between any formats for free. Though Any Audio Converter is free, it includes bundled extra software when you're installing it on your computer or Mac.
- Supported OS: Windows 7/8/10 and Mac OS X 10.7 or later
- Supported Input Formats: Almost any audio formats
- Supported Output Formats: MP3, OGG, WAV, AAC, WMA, AIFF, CAF, AMR, RA, AU, MP2, AC3, M4R, M4A, FLAC
#4. Freemake Audio Converter
Another free, user-friendly, and powerful audio converter for Windows 10 is called Freemake Audio Converter. It supports the commonest audio file formats and allows users to adjust the quality of the converted file. What's more, with Freemake, users can convert single audio files into other formats in bulk and combine several audio files into one larger audio file as well. As we tested, it took about four minutes to convert a 630MB WAV file to a 26MB MP3 file, which is kind of slow compared with the other 9 converters.
- Supported OS: Windows 7/8/10
- Supported Input Formats: AAC, AMR, AC3, FLAC, M4A, M4R, MP3, OGG, WAV, and WMA
- Supported Output Formats: AAC, FLAC, M4A, MP3, OGG, WAV, and WMA
#5. Switch Audio File Converter Software
Switch Audio File Converter Software is a cross-platform free audio converter mainly for Windows, Mac, and Android. Customers like Switch because it is stable, easy-to-use, and comprehensive multi-format audio file converters for lightning-fast and quality conversions. The highlighted features attract users worldwide like batch audio converting, compress audio files, and many more.
Switch audio converter is free to download, so it's likely to have all the freeware issues. In addition, according to some people, the free version seems to stop working after two weeks, and some security software might falsely identify the converter program as a virus.
- Supported OS: Windows 10, XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1; Mac OS X 10.5 or above; Android version runs on 2.3.3 or higher
- Supported Input Formats: .3GA, .3GP, .AAC, .AC3, .ACT, .RCD, .RED, .AIF, .AIFF, .AIFC, .AMR, .APE, .AUP, .AU, .ASF, .AVI, .CAF, .CDA, .DART, .DCT, .DS2, .DSS, .DTS, .DVF, .FLAC, .FLV, .GSM, .M2A, .M3U, .M4A, .M4B, .M4R, .MID, .MKA, .MKV, .MOD, .MOH, .MOV, .MP1, .MP2, .MP3, .MP4, .MPA, .MPC, .MPEG, .MPGA, .MPG, .MPEG, .MSV, .OGA, .OGG, .OPUS, .PLS, .QCP, .RA, .RAR, .RAW, .REC, .RSS, .SHN, .SPX, .VOB, .VOC, .VOX, .WAV, .WMA, .WMV, .WPL, .WV, .ZAB, .ZIP
- Supported Output Formats: .AAC, .AC3, .AIF, .AIFF, .AIFC, .AMR, .APE, .AU, .CAF, .CDA, .FLAC, .GSM, .M3U, .M4A, .M4B, .M4R, .MOV, .MP1, .MP2, .MP3, .MPC, .OGG, .OPUS, .PLS, .RAW, .RSS, .SPX, .TXT, .VOX, .WAV, .WMA, .WPL
#6. fre:ac Free Audio Converter
Completely free and open-source best free audio converter and CD extractor for Microsoft Windows, Linux, macOS. FreeBSD, fre:ac Free Audio Converter supports various popular formats and encoders. With fre:ac, you can easily rip your audio CDs to MP3 or WMA files for use with your hardware player or convert files that do not play with other audio software. You can even convert whole music libraries retaining the folder and filename structure.
- Supported OS: Windows, Linux, macOS, FreeBSD
- Supported Audio Formats: Converts between MP3, MP4/M4A, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, and Bonk formats
#7. MediaHuman Audio Converter
Some of you are probably looking for a straightforward audio converter without too many advanced audio editing features and confusing interfaces. Mediahuman Audio Converter is an ideal choice. Compared with the aforementioned robust and enhanced converter software, it's definitely simple software with simple functions. It can help you convert from or to a wide range of common and no-so-common audio formats.
- Supported OS: Windows XP/7/8/10, Mac OS X 10.6 to macOS 10.15
- Supported Input Formats: AAC, AC3, AIF, AIFF, ALAW, AMR, APE, AU, AWB, CAF, DSF, DTS, FLAC, M4A, M4B, M4R, MP2, MP3, MPC, OGG, OPUS, RA, SHN, TTA, WAV, WMA, and WV
- Supported Output Formats: AAC, AC3, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, M4R, MP3, OGG, OPUS, WAV, and WMA
#8. VSDC Free Audio Converter
VSDC Free Audio Converter is a fast, powerful, feature-rich, and easy-to-use free audio converter. It servers the main purpose of editing and convert audio files from one format into another. With VSDC, you can enjoy the convenience of converting local audio files and ones located online. In addition, it allows users to edit a song's information like album, artist, etc.
- Supported OS: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10
- Supported Input Formats: AAC, AFC, AIF, AIFC, AIFF, AMR, ASF, M2A, M3U, M4A, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPC, OGG, OMA, RA, RAM, VOC, WAV, WMA, and WV
- Supported Output Formats: AAC, AIFF, AMR, AU, M4A, MP3, OGG, WAV, and WMA
Do you prefer a free online audio converter? FileZigZag converts your files online for free, supporting documents, images, archives, ebooks, audio, and video formats. To use the online converter to convert audio files, you drag and drop the files in the appointed area or browse for files and convert in a minute. If you choose FileZigZag, you don't need to install software or register with email, and you can convert files up to 2048 MB in size and achieve a balance between great quality and speed.
- Supported OS: all operating system that supports a web browser, like macOS, Windows, and Linux
- Supported Input Formats: 3GA, AAC, AC3, AIF, AIFF, AMR, AU, CAF, FLAC, M4A, M4R, M4P, MMF, MP2, MP3, MPGA, OGA, OGG, OMA, OPUS, QCP, RA, RAM, WAV, WEBM, and WMA
- Supported Output Formats: AAC, AC3, AIF, AIFC, AIFF, AMR, AU, FLAC, M4A, M4R, MP3, MMF, OPUS, OGG, RA, and WAV
#10. Free Mp3 Wma Converter
Free Mp3 Wma Converter is an easy-to-use audio converter housed in an intuitive interface that doesn't include difficult options when converting the files. It lets users transform audio files like MP3, AAC, OGG, WAV, WMA very fast. You will be able to choose the output quality and the output folder as well. To convert an audio file, you only have to choose the songs you want to convert, the format, and the folder where you want them to be stored.
Free Mp3 Wma Converter can finish an audio converter through a simple process, but installing it is tricky, especially if you don't want to face some changes to your browser's homepage toolbars or search engine.
- Supported OS: All Windows
- Supported Audio Formats: WAV, MP3, OGG, WMA, AAC, APE, FLAC, and MPC
#11. Pazera Free Audio Extractor
Pazera Free Audio Extractor is a universal audio converter that you can use to convert media files of various formats. The interface is plain and simple, and with the "drag and drop" and batch conversion allowed. In addition, you can split input files based on chapters in audiobooks, and it has several predefined settings for novice users.
Unfortunately, there is no help file available. Also, Pazera Free Audio Extractor was unable to convert an AVI video to the MP3 format.
- Supported OS: All Windows
- Supported Input Formats: AVI, MPG, WMV, MKV, MOV, FLV, RMVB, M2TS, VOB, MP4, 3GP, WEBM, DIVX, XVID, MPEG, MPE, ASF, M4V, QT, MXF, 3GPP, 3G2, 3GP2, 3GA, MKA, SWF (uncompressed), F4V, F4P, F4A, F4B, DAT, RM, OGM, OGV, AMV, DVR-MS, MTS, TS, HEVC, WTV, WAV, MP3, AC3, AAC, MPC, MPA, MP2, WMA, FLAC, SHN, APE, OGG, M4A, WV, AMR, AIFF, OPUS, CAF, VIDEO, M4R, MP4V, MP1, M4B, OGA, DTS, GSM, QCP, RA, VQF, THD, TrueHD, TRUE-HD, DTSHD, DTS-HD, AVS, EAC3, TTA
- Supported Output Formats: MP3, AAC, AC3, E-AC3, Ogg-Opus, Ogg-Vorbis, WMA, FLAC, M4A-AAC, M4A-ALAC, WV (WavPack), MKA-Opus, CAF-Opus, AIFF, WAV
This review article has introduced 10 of the best free audio converter software for users of different devices and operating systems. As you've learned, some are Windows-based programs, some are cross-platform applications, and some are online software with no need to download.
Among those best audio converter, highly recommend EaseUS Video Converter for Windows users. It supports all key and popular audio formats, and you can change audio formats with simple clicks. All in all, you cannot miss this best free audio converter!