Top 11 Free AVI Converters Convert Your Media Files to AVI
Jane Zhou updated on Oct 14, 2021 to Video Converter Tips
There was a time when AVI used to be one of the popular video formats. It got slowly replaced by MP4 and now this file format is used for video files on most devices. However, there are certain occasions where an MP4 or any other video format for that matter is not appropriate. Maybe you are using a video editing tool and it only supports AVI format? Or maybe you want to play your videos on a device that supports nothing but AVI.
It is in those scenarios that you need an AVI converter to help you convert your files from any format to AVI. Once your files are converted to this file format, they will work in your video editing apps that require this format. Also, they should play on your mobile phones and other devices where AVI is the only supported format.
Best Free AVI Converters - Our Picks
The following guide explains various methods to convert your files to AVI for free.
- EaseUS Video Converter (Windows)
- Zamzar (Online)
- CloudConvert (Online)
- ConvertFiles (Online)
- FileZigZag (Online)
- Convertio (Online)
- Online Convert (Online)
- FreeConvert (Online)
- Convert Video Online (Online)
- Files Conversion (Online)
- FreeFileConvert (Online)
Part 1. Best Free AVI Converter for Windows 10/8.1/8/7
If you are running a Windows-based computer, you do not need to spend a huge amount of time to find a free AVI converter. There are a ton of options available to help you convert your files. However, you should be cautious of the software that claims to help you convert your files but are not trustworthy.
One of the reliable programs you can use to convert your files to AVI on Windows PCs is EaseUS Video Converter. It supports importing various audio and video formats, and that means you can convert them into AVI with ease. Additionally, this program also lets you convert your AVI files into other formats without losing any quality. If you have several files, you even can change their formats at the same time with the help of the bulk conversion feature.
- Convert media file formats at a high speed
- Support over 1000 formats, like AVI, MP4, MP3, MOV, OGG, etc.
- Change video resolution flexibly
- Extract audio track from video
- No quality loss
Part 2. Top 10 Best Free Online AVI Video Converters
If you only want to convert a few videos to AVI, you can use one of the online tools for your conversion task. These tools do not require you to download or install anything on your machine. They work off of a web browser and help you start and finish your conversion in there.
The following are some of the best free AVI converters you can use online.
Top 1. Zamzar
Zamzar has been around for quite a long time and it helps you convert your files from almost any format to many popular file formats. For almost all the file conversion tasks, it uses the same quick procedure so you get a seamless experience no matter what you are converting.
You can use it to convert your media files to the AVI format using just a web browser. Upload your file to the site, select appropriate options, and it will let you download the converted file to your computer.
- A quick and easy three-step procedure
- Supports a wide range of file formats including AVI
- Drag and drop support
- Upload files from a web URL
- File uploading takes time
- Downloading converted file also takes time
- It is not ideal for large file conversion tasks
Top 2. CloudConvert
What makes CloudConvert stand out of the crowd is its simplicity to help you convert your files from one format to another. It supports a wide range of file formats and provides you with an easy way to convert your files to AVI.
On the main interface, you will find a dropdown menu that lets you select the source and target formats for your files. You can use these menus to quickly get to the page that helps you perform a conversion to convert your files to the AVI format.
- Easy to use dropdown menus for conversion
- Support for over 200+ file formats
- Convert files to AVI without losing quality
- Secure platform
- Sometimes it can get overwhelming with so many options
- Occasionally file conversions get interrupted
Top 3. ConvertFiles
ConvertFiles is not just an AVI converter but it is more than that. It has support for many file formats to help you convert almost all types of files using your web browsers. You can use it to convert your documents, music files, and even video files to various formats.
It is a perfect tool to convert your videos to the AVI format. It also offers a feature where you can request to receive the download link when your file is finished converting to AVI. It can come in handy if you do not want to wait while your file is being converted.
- Get email notifications for your conversions
- Supports for many other file types in addition to videos
- An easy single-screen conversion process
- Only supports files up to 250MB in size
- The interface is cluttered with ads
Top 4. FileZigZag
FileZigZag has a single interface that lets you upload any kind of file to convert them to various available formats. You do not get an individual page for your file conversions as the main interface does the whole job for you. You just need to get there, upload your file, choose an output format, and your files are converted.
It allows you to convert up to 10 files every day which should be sufficient for most users. Also, for those of you who are concerned about the privacy of your files, the site automatically deletes your uploaded files after 24 hours.
- No need to select many options to convert files to AVI
- Upload your source video file in almost any format
- Quickly convert your videos to AVI
- The maximum file size allowed is only 50 MB
- Limit of 10 files per day for conversion
Top 5. Convertio
Convertio is a suite of various file converters and it includes an AVI converter as well. This feature allows you to upload your files from any video format, say MP4, and convert those files to the AVI format. It has helped thousands of people to convert their files to various formats. This gives a good assurance to the people who are going to use the tool.
It claims to be using some smart algorithms to convert your files so they do not lose any quality. Also, their converter works on any operating system’s browser including Windows, Mac, and Linux. It deletes your uploaded file once it is converted and the converted file gets deleted within 24 hours.
- Upload files from various sources including your computer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and URLs
- Fast and easy AVI conversion
- Customize your conversion configuration
- Drag and drop support
- 100 MB is the maximum file size allowed
- Sometimes ads can be intrusive
Top 6. Online Convert
If you have ever looked up for any kind of file converter on major search engines, you have likely come across this tool called Online Convert. This service allows users to convert dozens of file types from one format to another. It has a video converter as well to help you convert your videos to the AVI format.
Unlike other tools that follow the wizard-style, this online tool has a single-screen where you can upload your files, choose an output format, and specify custom options. All you need to do is click on an option and your file will start to convert.
- Upload files from your computer, URLs, Dropbox, and Google Drive
- Select presets for converting your files
- Configure options for your AVI conversion
- Easy to use
- You can’t save settings without logging-in
- Sometimes conversion takes quite a while
Top 7. FreeConvert
When you convert your files, you must use the appropriate codecs for the process. Not using the right type of codecs can affect the quality of your videos. The FreeConvert web app takes care of that for you by letting you choose the codecs you want to use for your AVI conversion.
The tool allows you to upload files from both your computer and web URLs. You can add multiple URLs for conversion at a single time. Optionally, you can adjust advanced options such as codes for your video and audio. Finally, you can click on a button to convert your file to AVI and download it to your computer.
- Drag and drop your files to upload them
- Add files from URLs
- Customizable options to convert your videos to AVI
- Safe and secure
- Ads are everywhere
- No dropdown menus to choose input and output format
Top 8. Convert Video Online
Convert Video Online offers the features that you, as an end-user, really care about. This includes allowing you to change the resolution of your video before converting it to AVI, change the video codec, and remove the audio from your video if you want.
One of the good things about the tool is that it lets you define the size of the converted AVI file. You can drag the marker on the slide and it will reduce or increase the size of your file depending on what direction you are dragging it to.
- Load files from multiple sources
- Easy to select the output format
- Quickly remove audio from your video file
- Single-screen procedure
- Old interface
- Feels lags sometimes
Top 9. Files Conversion
Unlike other tools, Files Conversion only lets you upload files from your computer. This makes it less confusing and anyone with the basic knowledge of online tools can use it to convert their files to the AVI format. There is a dropdown menu letting you select your output format and AVI happens to be the second item in the menu.
You also get to choose the quality of your converted file. These options include low, moderate, high, and very high. You can also change the resolution of your video while converting your file to AVI.
- Less confusing interface
- Multiple output formats including AVI
- The ability to change video quality
- So many ads on the interface
- Relatively less customizable options
Top 10. FreeFileConvert
FreeFileConvert is your go-to web app to convert almost any file to any format you want. It supports all file types including documents, audio, images, ebooks, fonts, and even videos. It lets you convert your files to AVI format and you can do it by uploading your files from any of the supported source options.
Source options include your computer, your cloud services, and web URLs. Once your file is uploaded, you get a lengthy dropdown menu to select the output format. Then, it is just a matter of clicking a button to convert your file to the AVI format.
- All-in-one file converter
- Convert any file to AVI in three steps
- Tab-wise organized interface
- Only 5 files can be uploaded at a time
- The maximum file size allowed is 300 MB
With so many tools available out there, you never have to worry about how you can convert your video files from any other format to the AVI format. These tools, including EaseUS Video Converter, make it extremely easy for you to get your files converted to AVI with the click of a few buttons.