Top 10 Best MP4 Trimmer for Windows, Mac, Online in 2022
Jane Zhou updated on Jan 13, 2022 to Video Editing Tips
How do I trim an MP4 video?
We shoot videos all the time. It can be a selfie video talking about what you felt or a YouTube video sharing your experience about a product. The common thing about these videos is errors. It can be an error because you needed to repeat, or there was a noise in the background. These are some of the mistakes because of which you will need to trim an MP4 video to make sure the final output is smooth. In this post, we are sharing some of the best mp4 trimmers for Windows, Mac, and Online.
Choose them based on your requirements, ease of use, and support for output video format. It is also essential to understand that some of them could be resource-hungry, and if your computer is not powerful enough, choose the one which takes less resource to process video.
Top Recommend: Best MP4 Trimmer for Windows Beginners - EaseUS Video Editor
EaseUS Video Editor is an easy to use, yet powerful MP4 Trimmer for Windows. The software allows you to split videos easily and then remove the part which is not required. If you simply wanted to shorten the length of the video without cutting, then you can drag it from the edges.
Apart from editing video in terms of length, the trimmer also offers ways to enhance the videos. It comes with over 300+ effects, and filters which can make your video presentable. Enhancements such as Text, Filters, Overlays, Transitions, Elements, and Music will add to your videos' final presentation. These tools can help you to smoothen video which you have trimmed to avoid sudden jumps, scene change, and so on.
- Less resource hungry
- Along with MP4, there are other formats such as AVI, MPEG are also supported.
- User-friendly interface for beginners. The learning curve is almost negligible.
- All basic trimming features such as split, merge, cut, trim, change video speed are available.
- It's a full-fledged video editor that offers over 50+ transitions, 40+ filters, and 30+ overlays.
- Export videos in multiple videos and audio formats including social media support
Tutorial: How to trim MP4 Video Using EaseUS Video Editor
Step 1. Import Video and drop it to timeline
Open the EaseUS vide editor and select the aspect ration in which the video was shot. Next, import the video by dragging the videos into the media section or directly into the timeline. You can choose to drop them together or one by one.
Step 2. Trim MP4 Video
Move the playhead to the point where you want to trim the video. Trimming means to shorten the video, which can be done through splitting or directly shorten the video. Next, right-click on the video and select split. Then again, move the playhead to the point where you can split again. Repeat the process and keep deleting the split part of the video. The process will trim the MP4 video.
Step 3. Add Effects and Export
Lastly, add required effects, transitions, voice-over, and other features to the video. Then click on the Export option to and choose video or audio or social format.
Top 4 MP4 Trimming Software for Windows
Besides EaseUS Video Editor, you may also try the following 4 recommended software to trim videos and crop videos with some basic video editing features on Windows PCs.
It's a free video editor that offers two options upfront. You can cut and split or join the Mp4 video. Once you open the video file in the editor to split or cut, you can create multiple segments, and keep adding them to the sidebar. Once all the sections are ready, you can then rearrange them as it fits or merges them into one video. Each split gets a preview, which will help you choose the best.
- Create multiple sections of the same video, which makes rearranging effective.
- You can split manually or split by number or split by duration
- It is possible to split videos that have already been split.
- The interface is confusing because it doesn't follow the traditional method to split video. Not everyone will need to split so many times.
- You can only trim one video at a time, and since joining videos is not possible in rim mode, it's a considerable drawback.
Best for: Recommend for beginners
2. Windows Video Editor
Windows 10 offers a native video editor app, which is part of the photos app. The app is easy to use, but the timeline is confusing. Instead of offering a linear timeline, it provides a segmented timeline which creates more segment when you split the video. Apart from this, it can split, trim, speed up, add 3D effects, background music, text, titles, and so on.
- Useful to quickly edit video and add some basic effects
- Excellent to make a video for kids using the 3D objects available in the library
- Add images from Bing, external audio, and more.
- If you want to edit multiple videos, it is going to be tough and confusing.
- Linear timeline means you can place videos on top of each other.
- It can only output in MP4 format.
Best for beginners
Download: It comes preinstalled in Windows 10.
3. VSDC Free Video Editor
If you are looking for a video editor that offers professional video editing features, you can use VSDC's free video editor. While all you want to do is edit an MP4 file, but tools such as masking, chroma key are handy in many cases. It allows adding markers to part of videos, which are extremely useful if you want to be clear on why you are planning to delete that part of the video. Since it offers a non-linear timeline, it is best if you are editing many videos together.
Once you have added it to the timeline, you can right-click and select cutting and splitting. It will open a small video trimmer where you can create multiple splits.
- Features like masking, video stabilization, chrome key, motion tracking, masking are available
- Video capture, screen capture, voice recorder are useful to fix audio issues
- The menu is confusing, and there is a huge learning curve
- Settings are not natural to change as they offer popular code editor-style like Visual Studio
Best for professional video editors
If you wanted something simpler than Windows editor and VSDC editor, then Avidemux is just the tool to trim MP4 files. Once the video is in the timeline, it can use the editing tools to cut parts of the video and remove it. It also supports multiple video editing, which can be processed together in the form of Job queue. Make sure to configure the output format for the final renders.
- Easy to use video editor with easy trim and split features
- Color correction, sharpness help to improve the video quality
- It's a pure editor, and there is no timeline. It means if you want anything more, this will not work
- No keyboard shortcut support
Best for beginners who only want to trim MP4 videos.
Top 3 MP4 Trimmer Software for Mac
For Mac users, trimming videos on Mac is a challenge without the help of professional video editing software. Here the following, you will find 3 efficient video editing software for Mac that can help you slip, trim, and even combine a video on Mac with ease.
iMovie is a free video editor that comes preinstalled with macOS. It's a full video editor which allows you to create trailers, and movies using some impressive templates. Simply drag and drop the video file in the timeline, and use the keyboard shortcut command + b to split the video. Make sure to move the playhead to the point where you want to trim the video. If you're going to simply shorten the footage of the trimmed video, drag it from the edges towards inside.
Apart from trimming, the video offers full editing features such as effects, transitions, adjust color settings change speed, stabilization, and more. It comes with ten cinematic filters such as monochrome, vintage, futuristic cool blue look.
- Free for all macOS users, and you will not need any other video editor after this for home-usage.
- Prices trimming of videos with 4K support
- Limited in terms of features compared to other editors on the platform\
Best for home videos for beginners
2. QuickTime Player
It is the default video player in macOS, which can trim, and split videos. If all you want is to trim a video, and don't need any fancy effects, it comes preinstalled on macOS. Open any video in QuickTime, and then click on Edit and select split clip. You can also use command + y. Then you can adjust videos length and remove whatever is not needed from the video. Finally, make sure to save it.
- Share videos directly to YouTube, Facebook, and other services
- You can add multiple videos and trim them in one go.
- Supports exporting to audio-only or 4K/1080/720/480P resolutions
- Since there is no timeline feature, it is not straightforward to use.
- Use only for editing one or two videos.
- Free for macOS users but paid for Windows
Best for beginners
3. Hitfilm Express
If you are looking for an alternative to iMovie or Final Cut Pro X to trim MP4 videos, then Hitfilm offers a free version that offers pro-level features. Trimming the MP4 video is simple. Once the video is on the timeline, right, and choose to split. It will reveal a video trimmer window where you can do all sorts of operations to remove and change the length of the video. You also get access to all edit tools, keyboard shortcuts, dedicated video trimmer window, motion blur effects to smoothen the transition further and more.
- The dedicated trimmer window offers to edit only audio or video.
- There are over 410+ effects, preset, and tools for both 2D and 3D compositing.
- Combine multiple video stream, and add PIP mode
- The free version is limited.
Best for: Recommend for whom to trim mp4 videos
Top Two Online MP4 Trimmer Tools
Besides trimming videos on Windows and Mac computers, users can also split or crop videos online using reliable online video editing applications. Here we collect two practical online MP4 trimmers for you to try and edit MP4 videos with ease.
1. Online Video Cutter
It is a popular online mp4 trimmer tool that can easily trim videos that you upload it its website. Once you upload the video, drag the edges to the point which you want to trim. Then click on save for trimming the video. If you're going to be precise, you can input the start and end time in seconds. Make sure to set the output format before you click on save.
- Simple and straightforward to use
- You can crop, rotate, and trim videos.
- Save videos in HD format.
- There is no option to split the video.
Best for beginners and simple editing
Another online video editor which can split videos and export required to file. Drag the playhead start and endpoint to the position you want to trim, and then click on add another cut. Repeat till part of the videos you want is available. Once done, you can export the file.
- Multiple cuts are possible through the Multi-Cutter feature
- Every cut can have it's own starting and ending point, which is useful to split the video.
- Preview for each cut is available.
- Limited to 50MB
- Privacy concerns
- It takes time to convert once the video is uploaded before starting to edit the video.
Best for basic editing.
Now that we have seen all types of video editor, the best approach for doing regular video trimming is to get EaseUS Video Editor for Windows. It not only offers an easy way to trim video, but you can also use it to create a quality video with effect and convert to any video format. The editor also offers easy upload to social media format, which removes the worry of converting them into a format that they support. Lastly, EaseUS Video editor is straightforward to use and doesn't take many resources. It means you don't have to worry if it will work on your computer.
Lastly, if you have a macOS, choose iMovie to trim MP4 videos, especially if you need to edit multiple videos. It allows you to add cinematic effects and templates. While those who need to edit videos online, check out Online Video Editor.